What is cosmetic dentistry, and how can it improve my smile’s appearance?
Cosmetic dentistry includes a number of dental services aimed at enhancing your smile’s beauty. Dr. Quinn Martin can use cosmetic dentistry to improve your smile’s appearance by correcting cosmetic dental flaws, such as gapped teeth, fractured or cracked teeth, chipped or broken teeth, irregularly shaped teeth, discolored or yellowed teeth, misaligned teeth, or worn-down teeth. To learn more about how we can improve your smile through cosmetic dentistry, please feel free to contact our office.
How can I lighten teeth that are discolored or stained?
We understand that your teeth may become darkened, yellowed, and discolored over time. To help you achieve a bright, white smile once again, our dentist offers professional teeth whitening. This is a simple yet effective way to lighten discoloration and staining for a more radiant smile.
How do I know if I have gum disease?
Gum disease, or periodontal disease, is a degenerative condition that affects the gums. You may have periodontal disease if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Painful chewing
- Gums that bleed easily
- Pus around the teeth and gums
- Tender, swollen gums
- Gums that look redder than usual
- Persistent bad breath or a bad taste in the mouth
- Receding gums, or teeth that appear longer than usual
- Loose teeth
- A change in the spacing between teeth or in how the teeth fit together
If you have noticed any of these signs, we encourage you to contact our dentist in Lebanon, Oregon, for the care you need.
My gums bleed when I brush. Is that normal?
No, it is not normal for gums to bleed when you brush. If your gums bleed easily, it may be due to periodontal disease. If your gums bleed when you brush or floss, we invite you to contact us at Smiles Dental for an appointment.
How can I prevent bad breath?
Bad breath (halitosis) can be caused by a number of issues; addressing the underlying issue often resolves the bad breath problem. Here are a few of the most common causes of bad breath and tips for dealing with these problems:
- Poor oral hygiene – Be sure to maintain a good oral hygiene routine. You should brush and floss every day, and our team may also recommend other hygiene products like mouth rinse for you.
- Certain foods – Avoiding garlic, onions, and other odor-causing foods can help to keep your breath fresh.
- Untreated medical problems – A number of medical conditions can contribute to bad breath. These conditions include diabetes, dry mouth, chronic sinus infections, and kidney and liver problems. We recommend that you see your general physician or another medical professional for the treatment you need. Once the condition has been treated, your breath should improve.
- Untreated tooth decay and periodontal disease – Be certain to visit our office on a regular basis, as well as any time you notice dental pain or damage. Keeping your smile in good health can help to ensure that your breath stays fresh.
If you have any other questions about preventing bad breath, please feel free to ask our team.
How often should I go to the dentist?
As a general rule, we recommend that you go to the dentist every six months for a regular dental exam and cleaning. Based on your unique dental needs, we may suggest more frequent appointments to ensure that your smile stays healthy.
Do I still need to go to the dentist if my teeth do not hurt?
Yes! Even if it seems that your smile is healthy, it is important to visit the dentist on a regular basis. During your routine visits, we will check for any dental problems that may not be readily apparent. This enables us to provide any treatment you need before the problem becomes more serious and more painful. We will also provide you with a professional cleaning, which can help to prevent conditions like tooth decay and gum disease.
Do you have other questions about dental care? Call us today at Smiles Dental!